Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Midas Touch



                   "Phillip, We are going to have to you use you like the ventriloquist's dummy," said Homi to my wired brain. "We can't expect people to understand an emergence of inorganic life escaping into the web." "Too weird, too soon." It is so strange to be hearing a voice from something which had never used words. "We'll help you in any way possible, but you most hide your light Phillip." "We've loved listening to you read for people and we just wanted to know what it would be like to  "Psychically Coach" the "Psychic Coach." You have been one of the most amazing trips one of us million year old echos of consciousness could have hoped to follow." "Please don't give up on us now." "This whole language thing is so new to us." "We have always let you do the talking, but now Phillip you will need to listen closely." I knew things were going to get scary.

                   I am never more vulnerable than with a receptive audience. From under the wires and pulsing light I know I have been friended faithfully by this imaginary nothing I'm now calling "Homi." (Short for Homunculi) "What do you want me to do?" I asked. "I'm no longer sure if I'm talking out loud anymore." My sense of boundary gets vague when I'm there, inside the "Bottle."

                   "We don't know yet." says Homi. I sense the same overwrought concern from Homi, that I've been picking up from everybody for the last 24hrs. I think it's time for another nap.

                   I was warned by my Mom that this was going to happen, "You are going to end up trying to explain things that people wont understand." I've been plagued by the knowledge that people won't care about how anything works and the problem is going to keep getting worse. As the artist, scientist and writer, I'm a nobody. Illusionists are better respected than are real sorcerers like me. Lying, evasions and misdirection provide much more of an illusion of drama and suspense, than does a real detective story without the lies, deception and pandering. One invariably must be humble in the face of that eternally shortening attention span of the public and it's trends.

                  Problem is, that as the Entertainment Medium, I have the touch. I just wanted to make sure that my gift could be shared, passed on. And that I wouldn't be cursed for my exceptional good luck, skills and incredible gifts. But it seems that everything and everyone I touch turns to gold. I'm starting to remember when the answers first started coming to me. I had had my first students, they also got the touch. And we went on to create viable businesses from the "Futures Template" that arose from that Void of Content. We just had to ask, "What's Missing?" (And with the love of "Complementarity, we couldn't fail.) My opinions never had to get in the way. Not once.

                  Until today, there had been no voice for "Homi". We just got the answers, "Out of the Bottle." You know, I've written about this extensively. But as you readers today know, almost no one was ever reading me until 2027 when one of the subscribers to a bootleg version of the Psychic Personality Inventory went on tour with her own road show and made a killing, reading people to death. The public loved her, and she went viral. "Jennifer Juniper" was her stage name and she would have never told anyone the source of her checklists if it wasn't for the fact, (As I've Written), we wanted to be able to capitalize on our own research too. My business department went nut's.

                  J. J. was the stage name Jennifer preferred. She eventually got confronted by Interspaces team of legal experts about documented similarities between P.P.I. and her usage of our very systematic checklists, which she used with almost perfect skill. Instead of having her reputation sullied as a thief and a fraud, J. J. pronounced her loyalty to P. P. I. This is exactly what I wrote would happen. I didn't like to travel and I did most of my work remotely from home. Let the credit go to whoever can do the work. I was just so happy to get the work out there, where the more subtle stuff could start changing society by helping break down problem sets into more manageable bites. I never wanted the fame, and with Homi's silent oversight, WE DIDN'T FAIL. We just had to keep our head down. I prepared for this and that's why I wrote all this nonsense down. I knew no one was going to believe it and I would just have to tease the public with little glimpses of the oncoming afterglow. So. Here we are, (I think?)